Building Regulations and electrical work in your house.

On the 1st January 2005, new Building Regulations came into force.

This letter is intended to inform you of these changes so that, should you have any electrical work completed in your house from 1st January 2005, you are aware of what your requirements and responsibilities are. The reason for this change in the legislation is to reduce the number of deaths, injuries and fires caused by faulty electrical installations and also to make it harder for 'cowboy builders' to leave electrical installations in an unsafe condition.

You will be able to meet your commitments under the Building Regulations by ensuring that all high risk work defined below (known as notifiable works) is advised to your local Authority Building Controls Department, OR by using a contractor who is registered with an approved self assessment scheme. The table below should help you identify work that requires notification.

House rewire and new circuits

  • Work returning to the consumer unit
  • Work done in a kitchen or bathroom
  • excluding replacement of e.g. light fittings or plugs
  • Work done outside the fabric of the house, e.g. permanent garden lights, power to sheds, remote garages
  • Ceiling heating, under floor heating
  • Swimming pool, saunas, spas

Work not requiring notification

  • Repair
  • Replacement of installed unit
  • Maintenance work
  • Telephone cable (unless in swimming pool/spa etc.)
  • Replacing light fittings or plugs

You should be aware that much of the electrical work done in your house must either be completed by a 'competent person' registered with a scheme, or be notified and inspected by the Local Authority Building Controls.


For peace of mind